Joy is something that is very subjective-that feeling on seeeing your work admired, when you see your kids at the end of the day, when your husband comes home, on finding out that new music is being released by your favorite singer, etc. It isn’t something that is very ‘big’-in the sense that we don’t use it to compliment people-and I wish to change that. For the better. So, here’s ten ways to spread a little joy…
- Comment on a bloggers post. Ha ha! But in all seriousness, it’s always nice to see your work being admired, and even knowing what you could do better. Bloggers put a lot of work into what we do. And yet it doesn’t always show. So, maybe next time you read a good post, you could comment on it.
- Visit your local library. These establishments are in general decline, which is a real shame. We need to use them more! So, next time you want a good book to read, or just a place to meet people, visit it.
- Call somebody you haven’t seen in a long time. Don’t text them! Texting removes a personal element at times from interaction-just the sound of voices can be a real comfort. Better still, Skype!
- Give random gifts to people. They don’t have to be big, extravagant, etc-but they can be silly, thoughtful, or a ‘just because’.
- Compile and exchange playlists with somebody.
- Text a joke to your friends. Best not to be too corny, but it could be in a form of a meme… as long as it isn’t too offensive.
- Tweet your friends compliments.
- Better still, compliment people face-to-face. We all need that little ‘boost’ of confidence at times-just remember to be genuine about it, and not just for the sake of.
- Write a letter! I love doing this. Letters have such a great, personal feel-and they are a rarity these days. Even if it’s to an aunt you don’t see, these bring joy to people.
- Give your best friend cookies!
What do you do to spread joy?