5 journalistic pet peeves.

The more I train as a journalist, the more I seemingly become aware of ‘pet peeves’; we’re not seen as being ‘nice’-the name attached to us is commonly “Scum” or “Vultures”. But, in a tongue in cheek way, these are my pet peeves when working in the industry. (I do not represent other journalists.)

Throw a question back at me.

If I am on an assignment, trying to cover an event (maybe that should be your event), please do not throw questions back at me. This was the case back in January when out with two classmates; the conversation went something like this:

“Could you tell me what you are trying to achieve with this protest?”

“Well, what would you like to achieve with this protest?”

A journalist is there at an event usually to give you publicity; as in, to help you. So why make our jobs harder, when we are (usually) trying to be an observer, and not someone necessarily involved with said event?

Stereotypes.

“Good morning, my name is Lydia Wilkins, and I am a journalist for..”

“Get away from me, you’re all scrum!”

*Sighs*. The more progress I make with my NCTJ course, the more stereotypes are thrown my way. Nowadays I tend to ignore it, however it can become grating. (Enough so that I wrote this post about it.)

Age comments.

I know that I am young. I also know that I look younger than my age. But when trying to go about my business, age comments get old quickly. It was funny when a teacher found out I was born in 1999, responding: “You’re old enough to be my granddaughter!”
It’s not as funny now. I don’t mind that people can be shocked when I pitch up, by to be derisory about my skillset, maturity, intelligence, etc is not going to be taken kindly. I’m a trainee journalist, not someone who is going to muck about, etc.

“Bloggers aren’t real journalists”

Bloggers are probably not saying that they are journalists. However, they are two different things, with a crossover in the middle. But that is not a reason to be dismissive and/or derisive. Some Bloggers I know are also journalists; they have incredible skillsets.

Leeching.

I am not here to be your “eye candy”-I am here to do my job, which is to get a good story. Enough said.

What are your journalistic pet peeves?

1. March 7, 2018 / 3:49 pm

I strongly dislike when people put you in a box cause of stereotypes so I can imagine how annoying that can be when you’re a journalist

2. March 7, 2018 / 7:10 pm

It is a shame that people automatically respond negatively because of your profession. It is ridiculous that people think all journalists are the same!

3. March 8, 2018 / 5:05 pm

Haha I did a journalism degree and some of this is so familiar. There’s also the whole “will this be published” element when you’re just doing something for class which is so frustrating!! x
    Sophie

4. March 8, 2018 / 5:21 pm

At uni doing a broadcast journalism course I was taught that bloggers aren’t real journalists and it really infuriated me! There’s so many stereotypes around. I agree with all of your points, great post!
    Carly

5. March 8, 2018 / 5:24 pm

I never thought of this. I am not a journalist but I could see how those things could be super annoying when all you’re trying to do is your job

6. March 8, 2018 / 5:34 pm

This is a really interesting post as I dislike labels of any kind and stereotyping because it simply isn’t necessary! I can only imagine how annoying it must be when you’re attempting to conduct an interview and only receiving rhetoric questions thrown back at you!

7. Lisa's Notebook
    March 8, 2018 / 9:57 pm

I think it’s a shame that all journalists are often tarred with the same brush as those few reprehensible ones that work for rags such as the Daily Mail – #notprejudicedatall haha. There are lots of you out there who write brilliantly and, as you say, are trying to give publicity to causes and stories that would otherwise go unheard. I love hearing about your NCTJ course and assignments, I’m so glad you’re doing something you love! xx
    Lisa