Having Aspergers and the impact of technology.

*You can buy the keyboard mentioned in this post here.*

I’ve been thinking a lot lately-about being on spectrum, and the impact of technology. There’s a sort of correlation, even a relationship between the two.

You see: one of the stereotypes frequently levelled at me for having Aspergers is that I’m “good with technology”, or that I should probably be “good at science and or/maths”. (The latter I’m not at all good at. You could probably say that I’m good with technology-I’ve set up this blog, I know how to create a film… )
But… I like technology fundamentally, as it enables me to communicate more openly. I can talk with ease to people on Twitter, find my stories, create content for this website, network, and submit copy for publication. It removes the worry surrounding social situations for me.

Sometimes, though, I feel that technology is not used in the right way.
A story was circulating a little while ago, about the creation of a Robot to help people on Spectrum at work. This was supposedly to help them develop better skills, i.e socially-but it forced them to make eye contact. (Not helpful.) I don’t like the use of this technology-as I feel people with Aspergers/Autism should not have to be ‘normalised.’
There’s also technology used to spread fake stories, incite hate… I don’t like that.

What I like, though, is when technology is seemingly designed with the user in mind.
I use a MacBook Air, an iPhone, and the Keyboard shown in the pictures in this post.
Designed by Penclic, this keyboard can be paired with a tablet, or a desktop, via Bluetooth; it’s really easy! Once connected, the keyboard is a pleasure to type on. It’s also really easy to take on a commute. (It was also featured in a gift guide over on Criddle Me This.)
Technology has enabled me to communicate a lot better than I usually would; it has allowed me to make friends, get published, network, find stories. When it is designed for the user, technology is a wonderful thing.

If you are on spectrum, what are your thoughts?

Disclaimer: I received the keyboard featured in the post at my own request, in exchange for a series of posts. You can purchase it here. However, the views in this post are my own.

1. Lisa's Notebook
    January 27, 2018 / 10:48 pm

I’ve never understood why having Aspergers or being on the spectrum means anyone should be good at technology. Surely that’s down to the individual concerned? I think you’re right about it being a social enabler though, up to a point – I still love giving and receiving handwritten letters! x
    Lisa

• February 11, 2018 / 5:43 pm

Technology certainly helps with communication! I have an iPhone 6 at the moment, I love how I have the resources to write and publish a blog at the top of my fingers! My Aspie partner creates his own techno music simply by using a programme he downloaded onto his laptop, he spends hours working on it and it helps regulate his mind. Imagine living fifty years ago when technology hadn’t progressed very much, Aspies would be extremely limited for special interests, and they would be forced to communicate in the same way as neurotypicals!

• February 12, 2018 / 4:04 pm

Maybe 50 years ago the alternative would have been books? But I like the impact of technology, as in most cases, we are using it the right way-and a lot seems to have been achieved!

2. February 12, 2018 / 5:37 pm

I’m not on the spectrum but I love the rose gold detail of this keyboard and I’m glad you’ve been getting on well with it!

3. February 16, 2018 / 12:08 am

This keyboard is so pretty. Handy that it links to multiple gadgets

4. March 3, 2018 / 5:54 pm

I’m lousy at computers and hate math. Not stereotype at all. But I do communicate better with technology. I’d rather use email and comment on forums and blogs, write blog posts. Plus technology helps a lot to find other people on the spectrum with which I can communicate better, who understand me. Finding aspies without the internet is very difficult. Face to face communication is difficult for me, so’s the phone.

5. April 12, 2018 / 3:27 pm

I have Asperger’s and I’m pretty good with technology (average at maths and science, but wil be beginning a degree in biology in October). I find that most software is very simple to use with minimal practice. I used to work in retail and when switching between jobs I was always very quick at familiarising myself with the till systems. E-Mail and social media are far and away my preferred methods of communication. I feel that technology has opened a lot of doors for me and enabled me to develop relationships that I otherwise would not have had.
    I know how to create a film too, and love designing things with inkscape (a free alternative to Illustrator), etc.