I just don’t get social media.

Hello!

Despite me having been a Blogger for five years now, there’s just one element of the whole field that I just do not get; social media.

The politics of social media; now, here is what I just cannot understand. And that’s the funny thing, being a Blogger! But communication is the problem, and being #ActuallyAutistic makes that really difficult at times. So, as a way of explaining this, I’ll set out my problems with this one by one:

The actual tweets.

These are incredibly hard to ‘read’; is the person being abusive, will they misinterpret what you say? Or: is it okay to tag bloggers in what you tweet? Twitter makes my head whirl at the best of times. Can’t we just be nice to people?!

Selfies.

Although I do detest behaviour where people have to take thousands of shots, and they become this sort of art form, I don’t get why they are so hated. As long as you’re decently clothed, and aren’t hurting anyone, why not upload?

I just don't get social media.png

Instagram stories.

I like them, really I do; they’re also a lot more fun than Snapchat. (Sorry.) But when are we allowed to reply to them, you know, without apparently being intrusive?  And why is it seen as permissible to message me about doing a ‘shoutout’, when I don’t even follow your blog, or account? Hmmm..

Trolling.

Why bother saying something hurtful? (There are better ways to make yourself feel better.) Being told to “Fuck right off” for referring to two women as “Girls” instead of “Women” was a definite ‘highlight’-although they hadn’t taken offence, but the angry tweeter had. And that I was a “bad female” for assuming my son would be a bully in a creative piece..when I don’t even have a son (!) was another.

The Facebook layout.

I just don’t get it. Really.

Bullying.

Because did we not get past this whilst in Primary school?! I’m sick of seeing targeted harassment, or active social media channels from hate groups. Bullying is not acceptable to me, and I would love social media to one day be a place without repercussions like this.

Blogger drama.

*Sighs* Why out someone for allegedly buying Instagram followers, when they didn’t? That means the Blogger will loose business! And it’s not really your place to; they’ll be found out by brands & PR’s who wish to work with them regardless. And please resolve petty disputes privately; I can’t bare seeing ‘virtual catfights.’ If I follow anyone involved, they’ll be blocked, unfollowed, and reported.

Snapchat.

I just do not get it. Like Facebook.

Group chats.

How to use these without messing up? I like the idea for organising outings, or talking to a group at once, but I’m really bored of pettiness getting in the way. Pods I quite like, although I find them hard to eep up with, but with people in general, I really dislike group chats when not used for the designated subject.

Wilful misinterpretation.

Why wilfully misinterpret something that someone has put out there, just to suit your own gain? Just to act like a victim?! Come on.

Spam.

I get so much spam. And it drives me mad.

‘Hi’.

We all know that one person; continually, they’ll just send you the one word: “Hi”. They wish to tag to you, but haven’t got a subject in mind. And they keep on doing it. And they sometimes do it to be annoying.

I love my blog, but I’m tired of social media; I’d love the day it comes to be used usefully, rather than all of what has been described above. Please tweet me, or leave a comment, as to how to use these platforms; I need some help!

8 thoughts on “I just don’t get social media.

1. Mademoiselle says:

You see, I do like Social media: it helps me from the perspective of a Journalist, I can promote my blog, find stories, find out about events, track releases, and more. But when used the wrong way it’s so frustrating! Let’s form our own Aspie group 😀

Liked by 1 person

2. lisamclachlan says:

I don’t engage on many social media platforms (Twitter, Insta and lately FB) because those are the only ones I feel comfortable on. And I’m lucky that I haven’t been trolled yet, I’ve had nothing but support from fellow bloggers. I’m sorry you’ve had some bad experiences but hopefully it hasn’t put you off too much, I do love reading your tweets! x

Lisa | http://www.lisasnotebook.com

3. pinkiebag says:

HI, what a refreshing read. I’m trying to get my head around social media. I struggle with FB groups and group chats. I to also like evening gets that annoying spam. That said it’s essential to promote a blog.

4. Thoroughly Modern Emily says:

I honestly can’t see the appeal of Snapchat for blogging — I basically only use it with my cousin, and don’t much bother posting to my Snap story. And I also get tired of the spam comments and messages asking for shoutouts or follows from random accounts on Insta. Usually I just report and move on ;).

emilyhallock.blogspot.com

5. rebekahgillian says:

This is something I can definitely relate to on some level. I think I’m more reserved on social media than others I know because my communication disorder doesn’t necessarily stop once I leave the ‘real world’, and the troubles continue when it comes to talking to strangers on the internet. I’m worried about what people will think, or whether people will talk about me behind my back if I say something wrong online–probably a result of being cyberbullied by people in my town I didn’t even know when I was 11-13 and shouldn’t have been on social media as much as I was!
    I think Twitter’s a difficult one. It very largely depends on who you’re friends with, or following, something I think I’m definitely lucky with. It can be difficult when confrontation occurs and you don’t really know how to deal with it, though. I think being involved in communities definitely helps, too, though then you are faced with downsides–such as blogging drama, like you mentioned!

6. envyfisher says:

Actual tweets can be so freaking confusing! Even when people use emojis to clear things up it still gets messy because some people use them in different ways. And my sarcasm always backfires…
    Also, ‘hi’ only gets worse when you’re on a dating app, hahaha.

x Envy