Why do people care what I wear?

Update: since posting this, I have since learnt that I have been diagnosed with Hypersensitivity syndrome.

*The title of this post was designed to grab attention, not that I actually feel like everyone thinks me important enough to judge what I wear.

From the title of this post, you’ll probably think that this is going to be a controversial , so-up-myself, snobby post. I have wished to write about clothing and Aspergers Syndrome for a while now, to try and discuss sensory issues with clothing, in a perhaps more creative way.

As somebody with Aspergers Syndrome, you could probably say that I dress in a very different way to how people my age dress. (Very formal, right?)  My ‘uniform’ was either a dress or a pencil skirt, smallish heels or flats, maybe a leather jacket, and a satchel or backpack to carry all my stuff. But being out of place in this respect meant I got asked about why I dress the way I do.

* Lets have a long think..*
Photo taken by Amy at https://aimlesslyamy.wordpress.com/

You see, I dress the way I do, largely for two reasons.

Sensory issues are something that’s synonymous with Aspergers Syndrome; the inability to filter noise, the dislike of membrane foods are all examples I can think of. (I’m not sure I have ever been formally diagnosed with Sensory Issues, but I do try to block out noise, etc. ) But some clothing, and this is the only way I could think of it, “sets me off”. On some jeans I dislike the seams; crop tops seemingly move round my shoulders. Fabrics are also a problem; are there sequins without a lining? No chance I would ever wear it. It itches, and all I can focus on is the sensation as a singular thing.

The second reason is that it’s my personal preference. I see myself as being just a little bit too gangly; why would I wish to emphasis this? I can also be clumsy. What I wear is what I feel at ease in. Although apparently it may make me an outlier, but it is what makes me feel comfortable.

Now just how can anyone look this silly? The ‘ultimate’ action shot. Photo by Amy at https://aimlesslyamy.wordpress.com

The way I dress is to comfort my sensory reactions; I dress the way I do for me. It may not necessarily be appropriate for the weather, but what I wear does not necessarily take that into consideration. What I wear is designed to be practical, keep me vaguely warm, keep my sensory issues at bay and not start them, and make me feel comfortable. My Aspergers is more important than conforming, because I need to feel alright.

She’s flying! Photo by Amy at https://aimlesslyamy.wordpress.com/

And what I wear serves a purpose, to be honest; what I wear is practical enough to take me wherever I go. I have enough pockets to carry my essentials such as my phone and pens, my bag carries all my blog and writing stuff, and the flats or small heels are just there so I can walk decently. I would rather be able to run for the bus than totter slowly and miss it…

But when I enter the workforce, I’ll dress in the best way I can to meet whatever dress code is in force. (Whilst trying to keep the issues I’ve mentioned in check.) We’ll come to that then!

10 thoughts on “Why do people care what I wear?

1. whathannahwrote says:

This is something that I never even considered before, and I now realise I probably should have – thank you for covering such a topic! No one should have to dress in line with how others think they should, and especially when there’s reason as good as yours. Oh and by the way, I love your dress in your photos! x

2. lisamclachlan says:

It had never occurred to me (and perhaps it should have) that people with Aspergers (and so maybe autism too?) have sensory issues with clothing. Your post is a real eye opener, thank you, Lydia. I hope you won’t need to change the way you dress once you get into the work place, you look very smart already! X

Lisa | http://www.lisasnotebook.com

• Mademoiselle says:

Awhh Lisa, thank you! Aspergers is a high functioning form of Autism; I’ve never asked someone Autistic if they have a sensory issue with clothing, but they always were ‘visible’ to me in that respect. They’d wear sort of non tailored clothing… so I guess so? Hopefully I’ll be smart enough if I succeed in passing an interview one day! (That’ll be a post one day..)

3. Savannah says:

How you dress is no one else’s business, as long as you’re comfortable. I like your style anyway. I have (suspected) Asperger’s too and oddly enough I don’t like jeans either. I wear earphones / music whenever I go out to filter out noise. People have told me the opposite…that I need to dress more “lady like” etc. I wish people would just shut up.

• Mademoiselle says:

Largely I think it’s because people dislike an outlier; generally speaking, there’s a need to conform, and people who fall outside this are sort of disregarded in a way. Thank you for the style comment though; that made my day 😀 I hope you get the diagnosis you need x

4. rebekahgillian says:

This is a post I can definitely agree with! I don’t know if you saw my tweet the other day, but I was basically talking about the fashion sense I dream of having (and would have) if it weren’t for my sensory issues. No matter the occasion, my comfort HAS to come first. I have to be able to feel like my clothes are comfortable to be able to get on with my day and focus on the task at hand. There have been some situations where abiding completely to my sensory needs have not been possible (I wear jeans almost exclusively because they’re tight and nice, but these aren’t generally allowed on placement), but I try and fix the situation to, like you said, be as close to suitable for the workplace and my sensory needs as possible.