I may have Aspergers but…

I may have Aspergers Syndrome but….

It does not mean that I am broken; nor does it mean that I am indeed of what you think is a ‘cure’.

I am still a person behind the label. We have thoughts too, you know; we love and hate, we cry and laugh.

I’m human too.

We still have crushes.

We also have our own interests, as we are not just apparently ‘blank’, staring off into space. A lot goes on inside our heads, probably more than we wish to share or know how to talk about.

I still love.

We love to be a part of a group, in moderation. We find it hard to make/keep friends, but social isolation is just so hard.

We can still empathise.

We still care.

Apparently we have a lack of imagination, which seems to go with ‘creative spark’, whatever that means. I disagree, as I think that we can still be creative-just in our own way.

I still have my own ambitions. As well as opinions.

I still may struggle with the basic things neurotypical people also struggle with.

This does not mean I am any less loyal.

I still understand people, just not the situation.

***

Throughout my ‘educational life’ I knew that I was different, but I am tired of being told to fit into a stereotypical box-the label of my condition already has so many preconceptions that I disagree with. I am human, as is everyone on the spectrum; we think, we feel, but are just ultimately different.

27 thoughts on “I may have Aspergers but…

1. autismandeats says:

Omg this is so well written. Followed πŸ™‚ I also aspire to spread awareness of neurological diseases through the love of FOOD in Singapore, Nigeria and other parts of the world πŸ™‚ Do also follow my blog post and check out my posts at http://autismandeats.wordpress.com Here’s to a great friendship. Appreciate it ❀️

2. Pooja Varde says:

I love this post! πŸ’ŸπŸ˜Š Everyone is different and no one is made to fit into one box. If it would be that way, we would all be alike. We like you just the way you are! πŸ‘

3. Gabija says:

Loved every line of this post- well written and very informative. It’s sad to think we as humans have created these labels in society that only increase stigma and isolation for those affected- people are people, no matter what struggle they may or may not be going through!

Gabija | everylittlethingblog.weebly.com

4. abbeylouisarose says:

I think this is such an important post, Lydia! I think it’s fantastic that you’re not defined by your condition and that you seek to break the Mould and not be stereotypical! It’s such a shame that people seek to pigeon hole yourself and other people with aspergers, you are so much more than a diagnosis! You’re a fantastic woman and deserve to celebrate all your great qualities!

Abbey 🌸 http://www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

5. Teaisawishyourheartmakes says:

This is a great post! Thank for for sharing it with us. The world is so horrible these days especially when it comes to things like disability and mental health. No matter what problems we have we are all just people and should all be treated the same πŸ’–πŸ΅

6. Liz Brannan says:

This is such a lovely and informative post! A lot of people don’t know the issues with Asperger’s so you should be proud of yourself to post this! Labels are created because people don’t know and it takes someone brave like you to show people it’s not all what the labels say!
    Liz x