“Timing is everything” (Timing and Aspergers.)

* This post was inspired by an Anastacia lyric: “They say timing/is everything/but nothing you control” This is from a song called ‘Time’, originally found on her Anastacia album, but was also recently released as a live version on her A 4 App version.

I was listening to a live version of the song Time, when the opening really struck me; not for the sentimental reasons as in the song, as it’s a song about making the most of each day, but for a completely different reason.

Timing Is Everything.

When I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, what was sort of noted is that I really dislike to be late; I can also become really upset when plans change suddenly at the last minute. (This happens less and less as I get older.) I also have the characteristic of having to plan far ahead, X amount of days in advance, etc.  Over the past two years, teachers would also occasionally comment to me if I was early to a lesson. (I’d be waiting for ten minutes or less. Because I’d have rather have been outside a lesson room, than a place that was very overwhelming with noise.)

To me, just as the lyric suggested, timing is literally everything; keeping to a vague sort of timetable is something I do, as the world around me can become overwhelming. It stops me becoming anxious.

But then again there’s also the need to be early, as being late I think can be rude; I can understand if there’s a reason for it-a train strike, for instance. (Although in some cases it can be intrusive-like being half an hour early.) I have to be early, for that reason.

What do you think?

To read more about running late, there is this great opinion piece (click here to view.)

23 thoughts on ““Timing is everything” (Timing and Aspergers.)

1. Sara says:

I’m the same I always like to be early rather than late. I used to avoid going to things at all if I was late because I hated walking in and feeling like people were looking at me or not having a seat. I’ve grown out of it now a bit.

2. Robyn says:

I have such a fear of being late! I have social anxiety so the thought of having to walk into a room already filled with people scares me so much!! I always feel like it’s better to be early than late anyways! Thank you for sharing this post lovely! It was incredibly brave of you!
    Robyn // http://www.midnightandlace.co.uk

3. Jessica & James says:

What an interesting post, very thought provoking! To a certain extent I get you, I used to be so obsessed with being on time (not early or late) and planning way in advanced, but I’d agree with feeling it rude to be late!

Jessica & James | foodandbaker.co.uk / foodandbakertravels.co.uk

4. rebekahgillian says:

I have ASD and I can completely understand where you’re coming from. I get so nervous about being late that I arrive too far in advance, and then spend ages being anxious because I’m the odd one out and am worried about being judged. You can’t win, can you? I think this is something a lot of people on the spectrum can relate to (even my brother, who presents completely differently to myself, gets aggitated if he is not early) so it’s definitley something more people need to know about!

5. chelsea9872 says:

I have to agree here, I think timing literally has to do with everything honestly. It influences the way life works and the way we live, if you really think about it!

6. Thoroughly Modern Emily says:

I’m always the first to show up to meetups and things like that, so I can relate. I just get worried if we’re going someplace crowded that we won’t find a seat, or if there’s a meeting at work, I don’t want to chance walking in late. Planning a few days in advance isn’t a bad thing!