Staying organised: a how-to guide of tips.

Although nearly always a semi-rhetorical question, a lot of people ask me “how are you so organised?” I use my planner extensively, and it allows me to keep control of many things-being a blogger, student, columnist, as well as progressing on in further education. So, for this post, I want to share a few tips about what to do and what not to do, in keeping organised.

• Do keep a planner, and take it with you everywhere-just stick it in a bag, or under an arm. You don’t have to decorate it, but it can keep track of so many things.
  • Don’t overpack it, however. As you can see, there is not enough space in the planner in the photo-and it was one of the main reasons why that I wished to upgrade it. But on a serious note, it looks all very daunting, doesn’t it?!
  • Do colour code! This will allow you to see what needs to be done, and often months in advance.
  • Do have a wall calendar. (But if you have personal appointments ,also keep it private.) I find that, visually, if anything is stuck in a place I always look at, I will be more likely to remember and recall the information.
  • Don’t get bogged down in all of the finer detail. You can decorate, but that can deviate from the point.
  • Do set reminders on your phone.
  • Do create lists!!
  • Don’t plan every little detail to the inane, such as using a timetable to track your movements, hour by hour. This really frustrates me at times, because I know I have other commitments-I.e a social life!-and then it feels like I have not accomplished what I set out to do. It’s a crushing feeling.
  • Don’t take on other people’s organisation. And yes, I guess I am a hypocrite for writing this-but it drives me mad, I have enough to be worrying about.
  • Do have fun with your organisation!

What are your tips for organisation?

Lydia

XO

***

I am pleased to announce that I am working with Basic Beauty Tools. If you go to their website via this link , and order the Spongedry, you can get an extra free foundation blender by adding under ‘Note To Seller’ your colour code: LYDIAPINK for pink, LYDIAPURPLE for purple, and LYDIABLACK for black.

25 thoughts on “Staying organised: a how-to guide of tips.

1. GirlMasked says:

I was so badly organised in the last year or two in school and I’m determined to be organised when I start college. A planner is a great idea!! Where did you get yours? I never see them in the shops!!

2. jazziepickles says:

I wish I was as organised as you, I tried keeping planners, journals and calenders I just never remember to keep them up

3. The Monday Project says:

This is super super super helpful! I have a bullet journal which keeps me organised but I am always looking for new ideas and more inspiration. Definitely going to do more colour coding!

Kirsty | The Monday Project | themondayproject.co.uk

4. Annie says:

Great post! I don’t understand how people can get by without a planner! I don’t know what I would do without mine! These were all really good points. I will definitely be taking your tips onboard. AnnieChanie

5. solange (@solangesbloggin) says:

Stayin organised for some reason seems to be hard for a lot of people – i’m one of the sort that is only semi-organised but still manages to get (most) things done in time. these tips were really helpful though, seeing that i often have a phase of planning and organising a lot and then ending up not following my plans at all, haha. Nice post!

Solange | creativepineapples.blogspot.com

6. lifestyleaccordingly says:

I’m a to do list queen! Too bad it didn’t all get done lol. These were great tips. I use evernote for my blog and Freelance business but I use a planner and weekly to do lists for home. Organization is key to success!

7. envyfisher says:

I am so glad you mentioned not to get lost in decorating. I feel like so many people are just too focused on having the prettiest bullet journal page and forget to actually do the things in their bullet journal, hahaha.
    Personally I like to just take an empty notebook for a planner, because it allows you to use as much or as little space as needed.

x Envy