Here’s a stereotype that I’m sick of.

Disclaimer: this post is about my experience of Aspergers Syndrome, and is relative to my own experience. But I cannot take responsibility for any action taken as a result of reading this.

I’m tired. Really I am. And not in the ‘physical sense’. I am SICK and tired of being stereotyped, based on my ASD.

Rainman isn’t the set standard for people on the spectrum, although it seems to have been perceived as such. What’s forgotten is how nuanced the spectrum can be. There’s a set perceived view point, and that’s how we all are, apparently. (I detest being stereotyped so much that I just had to put it into a post.)

I am also not a ‘math’s genius’.

And I am tired of being perceived as lacking in Empathy-there isn’t just one type, one set way of being so-as well as not caring, unemotional, etc. These are all based on assumptions, and although they are hallmarks of the spectrum, I feel it is unfair to characterise us all as being alike to what I just described.

***

I am pleased to announce that I am working with Basic Beauty Tools. If you go to their website via this link , and order the Spongedry, you can get an extra free foundation blender by adding under ‘Note To Seller’ your colour code: LYDIAPINK for pink, LYDIAPURPLE for purple, and LYDIABLACK for black.

20 thoughts on “Here’s a stereotype that I’m sick of.

1. monicawongblog says:

I’m glad you wrote this, because a lot of people of disabilities are probably feeling the same. There is not one size fits out which each syndrome.
    thewongblog.com

2. Jordanne | Thelifeofaglasgowgirl says:

Stereotyping is horrible, although I can’t fully understand what you go through I face it myself with my own health diagnosis. There’s no one way to be and that needs to be taken into consideration a lot more. Thanks for sharing

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

3. Thoroughly Modern Emily says:

I’m so sorry people see your ASD before they see YOU. My understanding has been that many people with ASD *feel* empathy, but might have difficulty expressing it. I think I need to do some more reading and properly educate myself. But bottom line, your advice to just stop stereotyping and instead realize that you’re dealing with an INDIVIDUAL is so important!

PS: just found the email you sent me, and I’m going to reply in a few minutes!

emilyhallock.blogspot.com

4. Explore a Corner says:

It’s ridiculous that people are treating unfairly based on assumptions. I understand it can be hard to prevent initial judgements however everyone should be open to actually getting to know an inidividual and in these cases learn from them so that they can’t notice they’re inaccurate perceptions

5. Chloe says:

It’s not fair at all that you are stereotyped in one way or the other, based on a severe lack of knowledge and understanding on the topic. Hopefully people will begin to educate themselves more on such topics and learn to tread more lightly when it comes to other people’s feelings.

Chloe xx

6. outofteabags says:

Youre obviously a very strong and talented young woman who doesn’t deserve to be stereotyped to anything! Keep doing what you’re doing I love it ☺️ Em x

Comments are closed.